In class we experimented with two types of board making. Aisen hacked inkjet cartridge with a nano-technology silver ink to print circuits.
However the process I used was the sharpie and acid to create my board.
Using the diagrams on the board I drew my board out, soaked it for about forty minutes and began to solder my components.
There were a few issue with my board especially with thin circuit lines, but they were easily fixed with solder.
One issue I had was that instead of the distance between my finger tip and pencil tip changing the pitch, the pitch grew slowly higher regardless of the distance until it went silent/supersonic. I’m assuming something with the capacitor not releasing the charge, or maybe something solder backwards? Regardless, it does work sometimes… I’ve since used it in Japanese class.
For my 3D print I wanted to build some sort of appliance that I would use. My roomate had kept bugging me about how we needed an ash tray because we didn’t have one and we kept using bottle caps and cups. That same room mate and I share a love for science fiction so I decided to model a flying saucer ash tray.
There were a few features I tried to include in my model. First and foremost I wanted it to look like a flying saucer so I modeled the disk shape first and added engine shapes top the underside.
Then I pulled a section of the underside down so that I would have space to bring a dish down into. Using the same symmetry I put in the dish and a few dipped ‘holder’ sections. I pulled the dips inwards to provide a bit more surface area for the un-identified smoking object to rest on.
When deciding how big to make the dish compared to the saucer I tried to make enough space around the edge of the dish to allow for falling ash. I hate when people get ash all around the ash tray but not in it. This happened a lot when we used bottle caps.
I divided the saucer ring into the same symmetry but rotated, slightly dropping each section so that they themselves were somewhat of a tray.
My first attempt to print was ruined because I had a check-marked supports, but no rafts. Because of this the supports had nothing to sit on except the makerbot’s base, and since I had extreme overhangs it wasn’t having it.
I re-printed it with a raft and it went much smoother. My print time was about seven hours. There were many supports and the disk was thin so it was quite difficult to remove all of them, took me a few hours and still wasn’t perfect. Next time i think i would print it vertically on it’s side instead of flat so that there would be less supports to remove.
I have yet to cast my tray and recreate it with plaster, but in the mean time it’s been pretty useful…
If I were to reprint my tray I would make the jet engine features on the underside bigger so that they touched the table (even with the bottom). When you touch the outer edges it wobbles a bit.
My name is Auriel Rickard and I’m a junior in the DT program here at Parsons. I’m originally from Honolulu Hawaii but I don’t mind the shitty weather here in New York because the people are mad real. I skate, take pictures and play with my projector a lot.
I wanted to take this class because I thought it would supplement my post-planetary design class. In that class we study designing for the far future and learning to work with an expiry meant crazy cool materials will be essential. I also want to work with my hands here at parsons as much as I can.