All posts by jocelyn

natural dye // bio paint

biodye_paint_final

I experimented with natural dyes and making bio paint with several different materials. Most of the processes involved boiling or juicing things to retrieve the color, however it was difficult to establish the viscosity that is needed for paint. The natural dye yielded a better outcome due to the fixative that I created by boiling vinegar and water. I imagine that if I boiled things for longer periods of time, the strength of the colors would’ve have been more vibrant and not as faded as they appear on the fabric. Some ingredients had absolutely no effect, for example coffee grinds, but I think it was also due to the time it was boiled for.

I looked at several different blogs to assist with making this bio paint and natural dye. I found that most of the dying processes were to help with food coloring, so there was already a mixture that could retain the color from the fruits or vegetables. The paint I created involved using the coloring from the boiling process along with corn starch. I think if I added more corn starch, the paint would’ve been thicker but there is also no permanence with this biopaint. The liquids were very watercolor-like and would fade after painting a stroke or so. I believe that the paint probably needed some ingredient that would attach to the surface better, and corn starch is too temporary.

The PDF I attached has all the documentation of this process. I think certain colors already have a natural vibrancy that can be easily extracted and so the beets were very effective whereas the lemons weren’t strong enough.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12169066_make-biodegradable-paint.html

http://www.frugalfanatic.com/diy-crafts-washable-sidewalk-paint/

http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2013/03/natural-homemade-food-coloring-for-baking-frosting-and-easter/

http://earthdivasblog.com/2010/07/13/how-to-dye-fabric-with-natural-dyes/

BIOPLASTICS

So I attempted a very simple mixture for bioplastics that included corn starch, canola oil, and water and I wasn’t completely sure what I was expecting. However, the outcome of it was surprisingly gelatin-like but also cracked and very brittle. Here are some photos of what happened and I think I would like to attempt variations with the mixture and see what would be the result.

IMG_2373

IMG_2385

jocelyn_5

jocelyn_13

Midterm Project

For my midterm I wanted to recreate a scene with a bed and pillow combination but with a woven texture. In Maya, it was a process of deleting faces while maintaining the object hollow. However, this proved to be quite a challenge when I went into printing. I started with the MakerBot Replicator II and test try-ed a couple of things but for some reason, the objects didn’t actually have the texture I initially wanted The model itself was difficult because there weren’t any edges that allowed for it to be flat. Also again with the hollowness, I needed rafts and supports or the model just completely stopped printing.

So then I went back to the drawing board and considered making it thicker and extruding it so that the MakerBot wouldn’t just completely erase all the holes that were in the model on Maya. I also sliced the three objects in hopes that it would be easier for it to print. However this proved just as difficult because the supports were built on the inside and the outside so it wasn’t easy to try and remove all the excess plastic. I considered printing on the Objet 24 but without having it sliced it would’ve filled the inside completely with wax and be super uneconomical.

Currently I have attached images of the models and attempts, but I’d like to figure it out even more and have it print without all the excess so that the imprinted bed looks a lot more clean. At the moment, it looks a bit chaotic and because there were so many faces that were missing, the pieces broke off and were too fragile.

photo 3 photo 3 (1) photo 2 photo 2 (1) photo 1 photo 5 photo 4 photo 4 (1) photo 1 (1)photo

Imprints // Bed

For my midterm I’d like to create a scene of a bed with pillows and blankets and structure the items to have a texture to them that almost resembles weaving. ¬†I’ve been experimenting with having each object connect with only some faces but I’d really like the objects to resemble a textile.

Screen Shot 2014-03-12 at 5.01.41 AM Screen Shot 2014-03-12 at 5.01.57 AM Screen Shot 2014-03-12 at 5.02.09 AM Screen Shot 2014-03-12 at 5.02.24 AM Screen Shot 2014-03-12 at 5.02.39 AM

hello folks

My name is Jocelyn.

I am a communication design major with a deep interest in the tactile world.  Although most of what I do is more related to the graphic side and 2-dimensional world, I have become very attached with the idea of physically creating an object. I studied in Italy this past semester and learned to work with materials that I never truly came in contact before such as (clay, silk, and etc) and now I really want to connect those two worlds together.

Ps my favorite animal is a turtle.

1528727_10201401638988190_999958041_n