All posts by Madhav

Madhav Tankha – Final Project

For my final project I wanted to make a total of five (5) bioplastic masks and then hook them up to LEDs and arduinos and then to max/msp to create some synchronized light/sound blips, algorithmically generating patterns every x seconds. I made a mold out of clay and cast the bioplastic in it.  Sadly only 3 masks came out in a semi-usable state, and even they were not too great. (Since then, on Aisen’s suggestions, I’ve begun making more masks using multiple thin layers of bioplastic, and the results seem encouraging. Using more vegetable oil / vinegar seems to reduce shrinking and cracking.) I tried a bunch of tests with coloured bioplastics (using acrylic paint) but they all cracked and disintegrated very easily. I also made some stuff with wheat paste in case the bioplastic ones didn’t work out. They’re sturdier but don’t have the nice translucent texture)

The final recipe:

2 tablespoon corn starch

8-12 tablespoons water (12 seems to work nicely with the mould…you don’t want it to be too thick)

1/2 tablespoon gelatin

1/2 tablespoon vinegar

1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil

20140524_221719 20140518_111859 20140518_111551 20140518_111449 20140518_111434 20140518_111415 20140518_111346




The bioplastic texture, especially when lit, does indeed look very nice. But perhaps stronger LEDs are required,


The video isn’t too great, but basically I wanted the masks to form patterns out of sounds and light. I intend to continue working on this project throughout the summer. My aims are:

1. To create 5 (five) sturdy, wall-mountable masks

2. to acquire stronger LEDs

3. To re-record the audio and do some research on syllables and language,  so that the combination of sounds suggests some sort of song-speech.

4. Finally, to perhaps hook everything up to a raspberry pi with speakers instead of running it off my computer.


With the encouragement of my instructors, I am confident that I will overcome all obstacles.

Madhav Tankha- Bioplastic experiments

I used a base recipe of 2 tbspns corn starch, 8 tbspns water, 2 tspns glycerine, 2 tbspns vegetable oil, and a couple of pinches of gelatin, and then made a few variations where I tweaked the amount of ingredients a bit..sadly they all came out roughly similar, a gooey blob that came apart easily. Perhaps more corn starch next time? Im also going to experiment with baking, all these were made in the stove.

I tried to overreach and made a mould for a mask which I thought would be amazing, but it came apart and now all I have are blobs, one of which I have captured and will display in class.





Madhav Tankha Midterm



Narcissism dictated that my midterm be a model of my own head, to have something which I could not only fondly gaze upon but also give out to my friends on their birthdays. I started off with trying to freesculpt it but realized that if I didn’t make it look very realistic it would look really bad, so I decided to have a more stylized, simpler version. I think next time I could definitely make the geometry even simpler, this one has some extraneous stuff which doesn’t really add to the model but I couldn’t remove without messing it up.






BUT I also started modeling a dreadnought. (From Warhammer 40k). Maya Booleans gave me a ton of trouble here, simple geometry would refuse to combine, or stuff that was working at one point would randomly stop working and vice versa. Thinking of redoing this one in parts and then sticking them together. Havent printed yet because I need some more time to do the fine detailing that these usually come with.

Madhav Tankha- Midterm



My first 3D print must naturally be either a killer robot or my own head. (Because, narcissism).  I started out with a sphere and started sculpting but found that I quickly mess(h)ed things up. (hehe). So decided to take a simpler approach, inspired by stuff like the Clone Wars series – which incidentally I think was done in Maya as well. Having trouble with how to create hair but will work on that in the coming week, will also create a stand. Finally, during spring break will also model killer robot.