After experimenting with bio-plastics we wanted to continue our experimentation. We initially wanted to explore applications of our bio-plastics. Plastic bags, pouches and other items usually made from fabrics. We wanted to create thin layers that we could potentially cut and sew.
We had the ideal to change the attributes of the base bio-plastics, to mimic different sorts of fabrics.
we had the condition that: The extra ingredient had to be a raw material that was bio degradable.
We were interested in using rice, because of it’s quality to soak up water/liquid. we wanted to see if we could have the rice soak up our bio-plastic concoction and become a material that could be used for sculptures or even like the fabric-like materials that we initially set out to create.
we tried two different methods, one with cooked rice and one with raw rice. we tried to soak the rice in our mixture before we heat it up, but in order to get the rice to soak up nicely it needed heat.
For the most part the plastics would start to harden before the rice could fully soak up. However, we were successful in creating a few big spreads that were pretty thin, as well as some more dense collections.
The outcome of the bio-plastic/rice mixture seemed to hold properties of insulation. We decided to make several coasters and pot holders from the mixture of cooked rice while we planned to cut and sew the sheet of bio-plastic/raw rice mixture due to its thinner sheet like consistency which would have made for an interesting material to use for making fabric base items.
For our 3D Print assignment, I was interested in creating an object that would consider the the translucent qualities of the plastic filament and at the same time, serve a practical function.
Initial ideals were to print:
A stand alone “white board” calendar
A light fixture
A candle holder
A circular disc with patterns that could be attached to a projector to distort projected images.
Eventually I decided to go with a candle holder, as I was interested in how the flickr of the flames would create shadows and patterns (analog forms of projections) and I wanted to explore the illumination quality of the PLA plastics (recommended for first time printers).
I wanted a simple and aesthetic to the candle holder as I knew I was new to Maya and was fond of minimalist designs in an increasingly over consumerist world. Bruno Munari and Alex Calder were two individuals I greatly admired for their design decisions and aesthetics.
Referencing Calder’s mobiles and Munari’s wind chime I decided to make a candle holder out of three distinct parts. It was hard to get the right thickness for the cylinders on maya as I did not wanted it as thin as possible so the flame could be seen slightly through the walls of the holder. I make a few sketches and measured out proportions, followed by translating that into Maya via the Polygon mode.
After presenting the class, I would like to re-print the candle holder in a different material, as I did not take into account how the fire retardancy of the PLA Filament.
My name is Nicholas, I’m a first year transfer to Parsons, and intend to major in Architecture with a minor in Temporary Environments.
I’m interested in spaces, lighting and architecture, the way light interacts with materials and more importantly how these three elements can be combined to augment an individuals experience.