This week I want you to do the following for HW (before class on Wednesday):
- Sign up for a Lynda account (if haven’t already done so) with your New School ID. It’s FREE!
- Go through this 1.5 hour long Lynda Tutorial: http://www.lynda.com/Maya-tutorials/Maya-Essentials-1-Interface-Organization/96714-2.html
- Model a super-sexy chair in Maya (like the one in the image below)! … while modeling your chair, focus on the following:
- create and manipulate different polygon models
- Note: make sure your Maya is in Polygons Mode:
- Create polygon primitives like such:
- get comfortable with switching between polygon selection modes (vertex, face, object, edge) … you can do this by holding down right-click on the model and dragging over the appropriate mode
- experiment with the settings in menu link Display > Grid … you can mess with the settings by clicking on the rectangle on the right side of menu link …
- use the hotkeys Q, W, E, and R to switch between manipulation modes (select, move, rotate, scale) … you can do the same thing by selecting the mode from the left toolbar
- Play around with Snap to Grid setting … … to use the grid for building symmetric models with fixed unit sizes
- Lastly, get familiar with extruding faces … … from polygons:
Optional (but recommended):
- Add some extra stuff to your maya scene… play around with modeling in polygons!
- Get a jump start on modeling with Polygons by starting this Lynda tutorial: http://www.lynda.com/Maya-tutorials/Maya-Essentials-2-Polygonal-Modeling-Techniques/96715-2.html