Images

Midterm Project

For my midterm I wanted to recreate a scene with a bed and pillow combination but with a woven texture. In Maya, it was a process of deleting faces while maintaining the object hollow. However, this proved to be quite a challenge when I went into printing. I started with the MakerBot Replicator II and test try-ed a couple of things but for some reason, the objects didn’t actually have the texture I initially wanted The model itself was difficult because there weren’t any edges that allowed for it to be flat. Also again with the hollowness, I needed rafts and supports or the model just completely stopped printing.

So then I went back to the drawing board and considered making it thicker and extruding it so that the MakerBot wouldn’t just completely erase all the holes that were in the model on Maya. I also sliced the three objects in hopes that it would be easier for it to print. However this proved just as difficult because the supports were built on the inside and the outside so it wasn’t easy to try and remove all the excess plastic. I considered printing on the Objet 24 but without having it sliced it would’ve filled the inside completely with wax and be super uneconomical.

Currently I have attached images of the models and attempts, but I’d like to figure it out even more and have it print without all the excess so that the imprinted bed looks a lot more clean. At the moment, it looks a bit chaotic and because there were so many faces that were missing, the pieces broke off and were too fragile.

photo 3 photo 3 (1) photo 2 photo 2 (1) photo 1 photo 5 photo 4 photo 4 (1) photo 1 (1)photo

Nicholas

Hello!

My name is Nicholas, I’m a first year transfer to Parsons, and intend to major in Architecture with a minor in Temporary Environments.

I’m interested in spaces, lighting and architecture, the way light interacts with materials and more importantly how these three elements can be combined to augment an individuals experience.

Some experiments!

Some experiments!